Fire Alarm Foundation
The Fire Alarm Foundation course is designed to give participants a practical knowledge of the operation and installation of Fire Alarm Systems at a foundation level. During this practical and theory-based course students will gain the skills and knowledge to install and wire up a Fire Alarm Control Panel to typical auxiliary equipment such as Break Glass Units, Smoke Detectors, Heat Detectors, Bells, and Sirens.
Duration and Schedule
The Fire Alarm Foundation course runs over 3 Saturdays commencing on Saturday 19th November and takes place over 3 consecutive Saturdays from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm each Saturday (the first 2 classes are on zoom and the last class in the centre).
Online Virtual Classroom – how it works?
The course will be delivered through blended training consisting of 2 online virtual classroom sessions. The 3rd and last session will involve the additional practical work for the course as well as the written examination and practical assessments which will take place at our training centre at 4, North Great Georges Street, Dublin 1.
During the virtual classroom sessions, Trainees will have a live video feed with their instructor talking to them, doing practical live demonstrations on equipment being involved actively in the learning.
We will send out a practical kit so that trainees can complete assignments and practical work at home. The kit is the property of Hi-Tech Training and will be returned to Hi-Tech Training on the last day of the course.
(The kits may also be purchased by the learner….see the Kits Page Link for more details).
The kit consists of a multimeter, connectors, Fire and security cable, resistors, diodes, detectors and detector bases, cutters, screwdriver, etc. Trainees will build various projects as part of the course.
The kit forms an integral part of the course, so full course fees need to be paid at least 7 days prior to course commencement to allow time to ship the kit in time for the course.
* If attending the course from outside of Ireland the course practical training kit must be purchased via our online shop in time for delivery before course commencement. The equipment will then remain the property of the trainee.
In preparation for each course, we have a quick informal free 1 hr online meeting approx. 7 days prior to course commencement, to make sure that trainees get connected through Zoom properly, let them know what the virtual classroom will be like and go through any questions they may have. To join the virtual sessions, you will need a PC/Laptop or Tablet with an internet connection. Joining instructions (login IDs, etc.) will be sent before the Informal Induction session.
- Select, prepare and connect the cable to associated equipment.
- Be aware of different detection and signalling devices and their uses.
- Wire Standard and Addressable fire control Panels to appropriate detection and signalling devices.
- Have a fundamental knowledge of how to design a system.
- Have a fundamental knowledge of the requirements to commission a system.
- Troubleshoot and test a system.
- Review of electrical circuits, voltage, current, resistance, insulation and conduction.
- Resistor connections, power supplies, relays and associated applications.
- Batteries: – Testing and choosing batteries to comply with standard’s requirements.
- Control Panels: – Standard and Analogue addressable control panels. Programming techniques. Panel location.
- Detection devices: – Manual call points, smoke detectors, heat detectors. Detector placement, spacing and mounting heights. Use of smoke and heat detector test equipment.
- Signalling devices: – Bells and Sounders, numbers, types, locations and wiring.
- Auxiliary output connections: – Fire door releases and roof vents.
- Cables: – Types, uses and preparation.
- Standards for Installation of fire alarm equipment.
- System design: – Protecting life or property?
- Troubleshooting, Testing and Commissioning installations.
On completion of the Course, having been successful in TWO examinations
- One Written
- One practical
successful participants will receive a Hi-Tech Training Certificate.
The Fire Alarm Foundation Course requires BOOKING FEE + COURSE BALANCE FEE + TRAINING KIT!