Alternative Energy Technology
The Alternative Energy Technology Course is a practically based alternative energy course designed to give participants an understanding of alternative energy options and provide them with that practical knowledge and skills to build solar to electric and wind to electric systems at a foundation level. The course is designed to be of benefit to people either working or intending to work as:- Alternative Energy Installers or anyone just wishing to gain practical knowledge of Practical Alternative Energy Systems.
Duration and Schedule
The Alternative Energy Technology commences on Monday 16th January 2023 at 7.00 pm. and takes place from 7.00pm – 10.00pm every Monday and Wednesday evening for the duration of the 5-week Course.
Online Virtual Classroom – how it works?
The course will be delivered through blended training consisting of 5 online virtual classroom sessions. The 5th and last session will involve the written examination and assessments.
During the virtual classroom sessions, Trainees will have a live video feed with their instructor talking to them, doing practical live demonstrations on equipment being involved actively in the learning).
In preparation for this, we plan to have a quick informal free online meeting prior to course commencement for about an hour just to make sure that people get connected through Zoom properly, let them know what the virtual classroom will be like and go through any questions they may have. To join the virtual sessions, you will need a PC/Laptop or Tablet with an internet connection. Joining instructions (login IDs, etc.) will be sent before the Informal Induction session.
- Consider the advantages and disadvantages of the different alternative energy systems
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the operation of a wide range of electronic components and circuits and their applications in Alternative Energy Systems
- Become competent in the correct use of electronic test and measurement equipment such as Analogue and Digital Multimeters
- Build a simple photovoltaic to electric system
- Build a simple wind to electric system
- Effectively connect up, test and fault-find system elements
- Alternative Energy: – Introduction, terminology, types and applications
- Using technology to reduce CO2 emissions and energy costs
- Advantages and disadvantages of the various types of alternative energy including Solar Thermal Energy, Hydro Energy, Biomass Energy, Geothermal Heating.
- Terms: – Source, Renewable, Sustainable, Photovoltaic, Carbon neutral, Active/Passive
- Sustainability Issues, Health & Safety and Environmental precautions.
- Introduction to Electronics: – Electric Current, OHMS Law, Insulation, Conduction, Kilowatt-hours, and related power calculations and formulae. Fuses and trip switches. Wiring techniques. Practical uses of commonly used components e.g. diodes, relays, transformers
- Become competent in the correct use of electronic test and measurement equipment such as Analogue and Digital Multimeters, Battery Test Meters.
- Inverters; – types, uses, ratings, calculations, connection s
- Connections to electrical devices
- Calculating loads and selecting battery ampere-hour capacity
- Construct, test and fault find a Wind energy harnessing system
- Construct, test and fault find a Solar energy harnessing system
- Determine using online data sources the effective performance of systems at different global locations and seasonal variations
- Sustainable and Energy Efficient Building Design
- Relevant standards and issues, Changing technology and keeping updated
On completion of the Course, having been successful in TWO examinations (one written, one practical) the participant will receive a Hi-Tech Training Certificate stating the Grade obtained, be it: PASS, CREDIT or DISTINCTION.
PASS = 50% – 64%. CREDIT = 65 – 79%. DISTINCTION = 80% – 100%.
The Alternative Energy Technology Course requires BOOKING FEE + COURSE BALANCE FEE!